Hurricane Ida hit Southeast Louisiana hard. Fortunately, Common Ground Relief experienced only minor damage and was able to spring into action to serve our community. Generous individuals — neighbors from New Orleans and from across the country — donated emergency supplies. We are incredibly grateful and humbled by their compassion.
In the first two weeks, Common Ground Relief supported 1660 people
- Served 100 hot meals
- Sent 8 supply trucks to Laplace, Lafitte, Houma, Reserve, and Galliano
- Collaborated with a grassroots mutual aid fund (led by Quinn Bishop and Alaina Comeaux) to provide mini-grants to 23 households impacted by Ida
- Distributed tarps, ready-to-eat groceries, diapers, cleaning supplies, and more
- Provided supplies to 1,187 through The Levee Pantry — operated with our partners lowernine.org and Second Harvest
As we move forward –
- The Levee Pantry remains open 2 days a week and we are continuing to coordinate supply runs to neighbors outside of New Orleans.
- We are hosting volunteers who will support relief work, and opening some of our housing to folks displaced by Ida.
- This winter and spring, we will still plant trees and grasses in New Orleans and in Southeast Louisiana wetland areas to bolster much-needed storm protection.
We are here to help
Let us know if there’s a way we can support you or your community with house gutting, supplies or help from volunteers: call 504.312.1729 or email Common Ground Relief.
Ways you can contribute
Helps support basic supplies for SELA communities, relief volunteer mobilization and housing, long-term efforts to restore damaged wetlands and urban tree canopy.
Whether you’re local or would like to visit, you can sign up to volunteer to help with rebuilding and restoration of homes, communities and surrounding wetlands.
Deliveries can be made to 1804 Deslonde on Tuesdays 2pm – 7pm or Saturdays 9am – 2pm, or call 504-312-1729 to coordinate a different drop-off time.
- Gas cans + cards
- Tarps, roofing nails, screws, 2x4s
- Fix-a-flat and tire plugs
- Trash bags
- TP, wipes, diapers, period products
- Hand sanitizer
- Bug spray, sunscreen
- Ensure, gatorade, etc
- Non-perishable ready-to-eat food
- Pet food
- First aid kits, OTC meds
- Gloves, masks
- Battery-powered radio, fan
- Solar chargers
- Clean socks, underwear