Southeast Louisiana is frequently impacted by a variety of natural disasters including hurricanes, flooding, and tornadoes. We mobilize volunteers and distribute needed resources to impacted Southeast Louisiana communities during times of acute need, coordinating with NOLA Ready and other Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster. Long-term, our efforts in habitat and environmental restoration bolster much-needed storm protection and carbon sequestration, playing a role to mitigate the harm of future disasters. Please check out our social media or reach out to us for up-to-date information about our disaster relief activities.
Food insecurity has long been a concern in our neighborhood and was exacerbated by COVID-19 and the collapse of our tourism-dependent local economy. In response, Common Ground Relief returned to food security work in March 2020. CGR initially partnered with lowernine.org and Second Harvest Food Bank to run twice-monthly mobile food distributions and then operate the Levee Food Pantry. Since January 2022, Common Ground Relief has independently operated the Free Pantry with an emphasis on fresh produce and barrier-free grocery access.
Free Pantry Info
- The pantry is located at 1804 Deslonde Street, New Orleans, LA 70117 and is open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- No intake paperwork is required, just sign in. There are no requirements for residency, income, or appointments.
- Volunteer to restock shelves, conduct client intake, clean, and more by signing up here or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate specifically to the pantry here. If you have the ability to secure bulk food donations, please call us or email email@example.com — we would love to have your help feeding our community!
Anita Roddick Advocacy Center
Common Ground Relief Provides a community-meeting place for residents of the Greater New Orleans area at the Anita Roddick Advocacy Center, which is located at the Common Ground Relief office in the Lower 9th Ward. At the Center, residents may request work from Common Ground Relief volunteers and use computers, the Internet, and a printer free of charge. The Center also helps those whom we cannot provide with direct assistance by connecting them with other reliable services.
Advocacy Center Hours
- Please call 504-312-1729 any time to let us know you would like to use the space. Availability may include Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.